My Route


Ver Bike Argentina en un mapa ampliado

Thursday, June 17, 2010

Day 44

Today I arrived in Mercedes after 190 km. There were some ups and downs today. In the morning I saw a dog killed by a truck right in front of my eyes. The dog was chasing after me and just as it crossed the road a truck came by and ran it over. I can still hear that sickening thump. I thought about it all day...horrible. It rained a bit in the morning and sides of the road where I normally ride were in pretty muddy. I tried riding in the middle of the opposite side of the road and going off the road when a car came by. Eventually the conditions improved and I returned to riding like normal. Later I stopped at a fruit stand by the road to pick up a few tangerines. I started to chat with the old man at the stand about my trip, where I had been, where I was going. The next thing I know he put a dozen tangerines in a bag for me and gave them to me for free. I tried to pay but he wouldn't have it. They were some of the best fruit I have ever tasted. He said they had been picked that morning. I ate one or two tangerines every hour for the rest of the day. The rest of the day wasn't too eventful, just making my way. I went through a toll plaza at one point. I normally just bike right through because I don't have a vehicle per se. However this time as I went by I heard someone yelling. I was ready for the police to stop me down the road but nothing happened. I biked until sundown and ended my day on the road about 30 km from Mercedes. The road was pretty empty. I saw 1 car or truck every 5 minutes or so. It was nice and peaceful biking through rolling hills by myself as the sun went down. I gave my uncle a call and he and my cousin came by and took me the rest of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment