My Route


Ver Bike Argentina en un mapa ampliado

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Day 6: Rally car race

This morning I found a ride for the upaved portion of my route. I tossed my bike in the back of a pick up truck and we were off. We crossed into Chile, which went smoothly. As we drove I saw a fox and a bunch of guanaco. These things are everywhere. It turns out I made a good choice on hitching a ride because the road conditions only got worse. Gravel, pot holes, and loose dirt everywhere. The guy who picked me up must have been in a hurry because he was driving like he was in a rally car race. We are talking 50 mph, sliding on shart turns, almost leaving the ground going over ridges. It was fun if a little scary. He let me off when we hit pavement again 60 miles down the road and I biked to the next town. I found a nice hotel and slept in my first bed in 2 days. I got settled and went out to explore for the late in the day. I found a small grocery store where I got resupplied. The town also had a movie theater and a gym, both of which were free for everyone to use. I love Chile so far! I decided to pass on the gym for obvious reasons. Unfortunately the theater was closed that night. Tomorrow is a big day. I will try to make it to Rio Gallegos about 90 miles and a boat ride away. This is my last night in Tierra del Fuego.

No comments:

Post a Comment